Local Early 90s Song / 14X Rebel Radio

General discussion about *music* in Western New York.

Moderator: Admin Team

lumenoir

Local Early 90s Song / 14X Rebel Radio

Postby lumenoir » June 16th, 2017, 6:01pm

Hello everyone!

I've grown up in Buffalo, and when I was a wee lass, a radio station briefly appeared from 1990-1991 called 14X (Rebel Radio WXBX). I remember hearing this song on there a few times with a chorus like, "Come along dippy doo (doo-doo doo-doo doo)!" Or, at least that's how it still echoes in my head after a 25+ year gap, so I could be completely off. The music was rock/alternative, though I can't recall any of the other lyrics, except for the aforementioned chorus line which really kicked it up into some kind of cheery pop style for a minute.

It feels like I've been after this song for eons. 14X played a mix of hair/glam metal, plus some of the harder alternative, grunge, thrash; I've been browsing a lot of albums that came out 1991 or earlier, but no dice. I'm now banking on the local band angle as the key - I found an interesting article here which mentioned the lead singer of band Paisley Tease was actually a WXBX DJ at the time. Come on, wouldn't that be the perfect gig to be able to plug your band over the air?

The drawback is that I'll likely never find some Youtube post or ancient copy of a demo cassette for these bands (heck, I can barely find mention of some of them). So does anyone have any recollection of this song, or any band it could possibly be, or where I could hear some of this old music?

sevenyearsdown
Admin Team

Re: Local Early 90s Song / 14X Rebel Radio

Postby sevenyearsdown » June 19th, 2017, 7:07am

You're in the right place, but unfortunately this place is a ghost town these days. The people that could answer the question probably haven't logged in since George Dub'ya was president.

Unknown Eric
NOT a morning person

Postby Unknown Eric » November 7th, 2017, 5:27pm

As someone who listened to more than my fair share of ol' 14X during its year of operation, I've been wracking my brain trying to recall a song like the one you remember, but sadly, my mind has mostly wiped those days from its databanks. Wish I could've been of more help.
"Rock music is mostly about moving big black boxes from one side of town to the other in the back of your car." - David Thomas, Pere Ubu.

lumenoir

Postby lumenoir » November 7th, 2017, 5:57pm

Eh, it's nice to keep the memory alive, at least. Wish I could find some hapless fan who used to tape it all from the radio and has some secret stash of cassettes.

toomuchtv

Postby toomuchtv » November 13th, 2017, 11:20pm

So I'm sitting at work talking with a friend about the radio stations he used to work at. I told him I was a weekend DJ at a heavy metal station in Buffalo back in the day. I got to thinking, I wonder if there's anything on the web about Buffalo's Rebel Radio, the New 14X! Lo and behold, here are some fans talking about it!
We played a couple songs by Salty Dog, a band out of LA. They only were around for a few years, but their 'one hit wonder' was a tune called Come Along. You can find it on You Tube. Give it a listen and tell me if this is the song you're looking for.
Later.
Krazy Kev

Return to “Music Discussion”