Jay Moynihan Blues Connection & High Horse

Feel like reviewing a local band, show, release? Post it here!
Stratovarious

Jay Moynihan Blues Connection & High Horse

Postby Stratovarious » November 13th, 2013, 11:35am

In the last couple weeks, I finally got a chance to see a couple of local bands I had heard some good things about. A couple of Thursdays ago I caught the Jay Moynihan Blues Connection @ the Wagon Wheel in Niagara Falls. First, let me say that this was a cool little venue to see live music. Nice vibe about the place in general & great sound. The band played a lot of funky blues & even jazzy material which I was really into. Jay Moynihan & Ray Barry were fantastic soloists. I liked the rhythm section (sorry, I don't know what there names were), but didn't care for the drummer as much. The bassist was really laying down the groove, but the drummer, despite having some great chops, tended to overplay. All in all though, it was a very exciting group to listen to & I would definitely recommend them to anyone into blues & funk with high caliber improv... I also caught High Horse this past Friday @ the Forum in Amherst. Cool venue, but the sound was a little spotty. It seemed like the sweet spot was more in the middle of the room, where I could really hear the full mix. This group was really cool. They had a interesting mix of originals & covers which I thought was very tasteful. Very tight rhythm section & vocals (Pete Vogt on vocals, Sandy Belsky on drums, were rock solid...I remember seeing both in other bands before...I didn't catch the bassist's name, but he was really laying it down). They also looked to have a keyboard/rhythm guitar player (again, didn't get the name...Sorry!), who, when I could hear him, fit in nicely. The lead guitar player Chuck Derose was impressive. Great tone, chops & overall musicianship. My only critique of this group would be to let the rhythm section step out a bit more...I would have liked to hear them both soloing a bit more, but then again, I'm a fan of that & not everyone is....Overall both these groups were really fantastic & anyone into seriously good music & musicianship will enjoy them.

drummerman

Re: Jay Moynihan Blues Connection & High Horse

Postby drummerman » November 19th, 2013, 9:58am

Thank you so much for the kind words. I play in High Horse, and it's nice to know people are listening. We try very hard to keep a nice mix of originals and covers going on for everyones sake. It's fun to do those types of shows where we can stretch out a bit more than usual. We simply love what we do, and having the places to do it and some people who are interested in hearing it make it all better.
Im honored to play with these guys!!
Pete Vogt - Vocals
Chuck DeRose - Guitar and Vocals
Eli Porter - Bass
Clint Haycraft - Keys, Guitars and Vocals

Thanks again!!
Drummerman

Stratovarious

Postby Stratovarious » November 21st, 2013, 10:47am

You are welcome. It was refreshing to see a couple of groups playing some tunes you don't hear from every other rock & blues band around. It seems like every other band plays the same batch of songs & are more into posing out & drinking than they are being musicians. You guys blew me away with Achilles Last Stand & your originals were cool, catchy & unique. I'll be moving down south in the Spring, so I'd like to catch you guys again. Do you have a website? Or send me a schedule? Thanks & again, great job.

drummerman

Postby drummerman » November 22nd, 2013, 12:08pm

High Horses schedule for at least the rest of 2013 is.......

11/22 - Alternative Brews at 7pm
11/27 - Wagon Wheel at 9pm
11/30 - Attitudes at 9:30pm
12/13 - Alternative Brews at 7pm
12/20 - Wagon Wheel (X-mas party) at 9pm
12/27 - Foley's at 9:30pm
12/28 - Broadway Hotel at 9:30pm

We are on Facebook at High Horse Rock Band and on Twitter at @highhorse2013.
There is a ton more music that we do that you didn't hear at The Forvm.
Thanks again, and please introduce yourself when you are out.
Drummerman

drummerman

Postby drummerman » January 15th, 2014, 10:46am

You know what was even cooler? This past Friday High Horse played at Alternative Brews and Jay Moynihan came out and played an entire set with us. He is so good, and man was if fun to play with him. We are going to do that more often for sure!
Drummerman

Return to “Local Music Reviews”