Things that make no sense....

Be nice, keep it civil, have fun.

Moderator: Admin Team

mojophilter

Re: Things that make no sense....

Postby mojophilter » August 22nd, 2014, 3:37pm

I'm worried that I'm coming off as a know-it-all, like I've got it all figured out. Not what I mean at all.

I just tire of hearing marriage getting a bad rap when for me, it's the single decision I'm sure of.

Like you said, all couples deal with stuff because they care about each other. But being married means that you always will. Your scheduling absolutely wreaks havoc on relationships. Your SO has dealt with it and is still around, but there's that possibility that he will tire of it. If you were to have that assurance (as much as you can have anything assured) that he's going to be okay with it, it takes pressure off.

There's that Love Story quote that love means never having to say you're sorry. I think it's more not having to apologize for who you are. I doubt you could ever be the hausfrau type. I suspect that's also part of why your SO is attracted to you. It's more than saying, "screw it if they can't deal let the chips fall where they may." It's not having to bet those chips that gets you on to something more.

I've got no judgment against those whose marriages haven't worked. I just think that when it does, and it does, it's about as good as things get.

Ida
has opinions, so the rest of us don't have to....

Postby Ida » August 22nd, 2014, 4:58pm

mojofilter..I personally do not believe marriage should be the end quest that determines how committed or serious a relationship is. It can be done without the legalities. Why do I say that? Because that piece of paper does change the whole dimension of the relationship and almost never in a good way. It takes a perfectly good relationship, where give and take is still part and parcel of the relationship, and turns it into a form of perceived entrapment. The only reason marriage was invented was so children would appear legit by sharing the same last name as their parents. Divorce and kids born to unwed parents is so rampant in the last 2 decades that this reason is obsolete. Also, to speak of marriage as the end all and be all, is imposing some sort of societal barometer for "success" or "failure" on a relationship that stresses everyone out. And what of people who choose to never marry? Or the LGBT community that has been having committed relationships long before they even came out/much less were "permitted" to marry? Are their relationships less valid?

All Change is Good
fancy book learnin talk

Postby All Change is Good » August 22nd, 2014, 5:12pm

While I am very happy for Mojo and what he has come to know for his relationship.

Obviously the perspective on marriage is as individual as the people involved.

I am just so glad I have a choice. And I am so happy that gay folks now have a choice.

I thoroughly believe this is why the Founding Fathers drafted the Equal Protection clause. Smart white slave and land owning sexists that they were.

Viva La Choice!
superbe bibit cervisiam in imbrem
http://www.TheresaQuinn.com

mojophilter

Postby mojophilter » August 25th, 2014, 3:23pm

Marriage has worked out well for me.

I don't care what anybody else decides to do. Marry, don't marry, it makes no difference to me.

Legalities and paperwork have nothing to do with what I'm talking about.

The initial question is why would anybody get married. My feeling is that there is a lot to be gained by committing to each other without reservation. No 'in sickness and in health unless it becomes too hard'.

Lots of people commit without signing papers, but a lot of people stay together without fully committing.

Like ACIG said, Vive la Choice!

donkeypunch
mustard tiger

Postby donkeypunch » August 28th, 2014, 2:06pm

The Ice Bucket thing is just really annoying now.....I know it's for awareness but I'm guessing 95% of the people posting videos everyday aren't making a donation.

The best famous one I saw though....Is some actor, can't think of his name. He drank every alcohol that had had the word ice in it then his buddies dumped a garbage can size thing on him off a balcony.
"I've been told this and it's been proven by research - He who fucks Nuns will later join the Church"

CoreyP
Do you sweat excessively?

Postby CoreyP » August 29th, 2014, 3:17pm

The best famous one I saw though....Is some actor, can't think of his name. He drank every alcohol that had had the word ice in it then his buddies dumped a garbage can size thing on him off a balcony.

Chris Pratt.
I play guitar now!

yellow ed
Fairly Handsome Overloard

Postby yellow ed » September 8th, 2014, 2:03pm

Once more in English?
They can take our xpatsxpats, but they can never take our FREEDOM!!!!!

All Change is Good
fancy book learnin talk

Postby All Change is Good » September 9th, 2014, 10:05am

yellow ed wrote:Once more in English?

Translation: "Pay Attention to Me"
superbe bibit cervisiam in imbrem
http://www.TheresaQuinn.com

donkeypunch
mustard tiger

Postby donkeypunch » September 9th, 2014, 12:32pm

I seek no attention...I'd rather mow my lawn with my Ipod on with a beer while enjoying a sweet tasty delicious show off the 90 Spring Tour. Also, dating seems like a lot of work.
"I've been told this and it's been proven by research - He who fucks Nuns will later join the Church"

Return to “General Discussion”