Barry or Mittens

Discuss local or national politics here.

Barry or Mittens

Poll ended at November 7th, 2012, 3:51pm

Barry (I'll have to blame myself for the last 4 years)
83%
Mittens (Which way is teh wind blowing?)
17%

Total votes: 6

jtsound

Re: Barry or Mittens

Postby jtsound » November 8th, 2012, 10:17am

212frank wrote:
bucky starburst wrote:Nah, that's just sour grapes. .. blah blah blah

Dont get caught up in the ridiculous left wing hype. Barry won by 2.4% of the vote. in polling, that's less than the margin of error..... statistically insignificant. Worse, the country couldnt be more divided along demographic lines. You call that a mandate? Most importantly, the dynamics in the 3 branches of govt are utterly unchanged.

Standby for 4 more years of the exact same shit sandwich we've had for the last 4.

When you take away the roughly 80-90% of the voting public that will never vote anything but their chosen party you are left with the 10-20% that is actually up for grabs. When you think of it that way then the 2.4% margin is a little more significant. It's not a landslide by any means but again you have about 40-45% on each side that is never going to change and isn't even contested. With both parties conceeding many of the states that aren't in play I don't see how that dynamic changes any time in the forseeable future, margins like we've had in the last few cycles are the norm and I would say that Obama's electoral college margin is the new decisive win.
Who asked you?

jtsound

Postby jtsound » November 8th, 2012, 10:33am

212frank wrote:Standby for 4 more years of the exact same shit sandwich we've had for the last 4.

Am I one of the few people who thinks that he hasn't done a bad job in the last four years?

Everybody agreed that something needed to be done about our nations healthcare and he took it on when he had the ever so small window of opportunity and he (and this country) has paid a huge price for his efforts. If the opposistion cared even a fraction as much about actually helping people rather than political gain and making money they would have gotten on board and we might have had a better solution than we did. Time will tell if what we have now is going to be workable but getting more people covered is a laudable goal in my book.

Troops are coming home from highly questionable wars and we haven't started a new one even though with the current environment there have been plenty of opportunities in the middle east. I shudder to think how the last administration would have handled the situation in the middle east in the last 2 or 3 years. I for one think it's been handled well on Obama's part.

The economy has been slowly comming back with low but steady growth and unemployment numbers have been on the right track. Slow, but things are going in the right direction.

Inequality has been on the radar. Nothing concrete has been done but at least it's acknowleded that it exists, it's getting worse, and is a potential problem. If you listen to the republicans you would think that income inequality is something to be fostered and expanded which is unbelievably scary.
Last edited by jtsound on November 8th, 2012, 10:59am, edited 1 time in total.
Who asked you?

Sue
Welcoming Committee - Chairman

Postby Sue » November 8th, 2012, 10:35am

America died people!

jtsound

Postby jtsound » November 8th, 2012, 10:49am

Not to mention the obvious contradictions in Romney's major distinction about what he would bring to the table.

He want's to foster a smaller gov't that spends less, less regulation, simpler tax code and reign in unions but says his policies will creat 12 million new jobs. I'm all for a smaller more efficient gov't and a much simpler tax code but those aren't job creating policies and less regulation and more union busting will do nothing but erode even further the lower middle class share and guarantee a greater shift of income from the middle and bottom to the top.
Who asked you?

jtsound

Postby jtsound » November 8th, 2012, 10:57am

212frank wrote:Tells you all you need to know about barry that he could barely overcome a turd like Romney.

Romney was a much better thinker, speaker, and politician that Bush and he won twice against fairly good democratic candidates.

I would argue that a black man named Barack Obama is about the longest shot to be elected president I could think of. Both Mccain and Romney should be ashamed of themselves and the fact that in 2008 the republicans couldn't beat a black man with a muslim middle eastern sounding name only one letter away from Osama for gods sake in a national election while we were in two wars in the middle east just 8 years after 9/11. You would think that under those circumstances Homer Simpson should have beat him. Shows just how much whatever it is that they are trying to sell isn't being bought anymore.
Last edited by jtsound on November 8th, 2012, 3:15pm, edited 2 times in total.
Who asked you?

bucky starburst
Your Personal Indestructible Mosquito

Postby bucky starburst » November 8th, 2012, 11:26am

I'd prefer a wire transfer for my money, but a cashier's check is also acceptable. Hahahahahahaha

bucky starburst
Your Personal Indestructible Mosquito

Postby bucky starburst » November 8th, 2012, 12:02pm

Also, frank, please don't listen to me at all. Just keep believing what you believe. I am certain that denial of reality will help the Repubs in the next election. (See Rush, Hannity, Greta, Rove, Shep Smith)

Contact Buzz

Postby Contact Buzz » November 8th, 2012, 12:26pm

The Republican party is a party of Anger.

They don't like Women. They don't like Gays. They don't like Immigrants. They don't like Muslims. They don't like Blacks. They don't like the poor. They don't like Latinos

And then they wonder why these groups didn't vote for them.

When the face of your party is Rush Limbaugh, Karl Rove, Dick Cheney and Bill O'Reilly, you 'll come off as mean & unlikeable. Frank, you don't do much to change that. Anger at minorities only works for a little while. Ask Hitler.

I actually agree with some Republican ideals and really want to see an Eisenhower type candidate. This year's Republican primary was clown car. Hermain Cain, Rick Perry, Bachmann, Santorum. Mitt was a turd, Frank, but he was the most polished Turd the GOP had. Don't blame the idiot electorate. Blame the Republican party for its angry dog approach. It doesn't fly anymore.
"Crentist on the other hand pokes me everyday" - Donkeypunch

jtsound

Postby jtsound » November 8th, 2012, 1:15pm

Contact Buzz wrote:The Republican party is a party of Anger.

They don't like Women. They don't like Gays. They don't like Immigrants. They don't like Muslims. They don't like Blacks. They don't like the poor. They don't like Latinos

When the face of your party is Rush Limbaugh, Karl Rove, Dick Cheney and Bill O'Reilly, you 'll come off as mean & unlikeable. Frank, you don't do much to change that. Anger at minorities only works for a little while. Ask Hitler.

I actually agree with some Republican ideals and really want to see an Eisenhower type candidate. This year's Republican primary was clown car. Hermain Cain, Rick Perry, Bachmann, Santorum. Mitt was a turd, Frank, but he was the most polished Turd the GOP had. Don't blame the idiot electorate. Blame the Republican party for its angry dog approach. It doesn't fly anymore.

As a registered republican I agree with everything you said here.

And you could go even further into crazytown to include Trump and Nugent in that crowd. How can you take that crew seriously as people who have ideas to move us forward as a country?
Who asked you?

jtsound

Postby jtsound » November 8th, 2012, 1:33pm

But then you've got people like Colin Powell and other republican moderates who tried to do well for what they believed in and have been totally marginalized as traitors to the party because they won't support in lockstep the crackpot and one sided platform that the party has become in the last 20 years. I think they lost a valuble asset in Powell when Bush made him go to the UN and lie about Iraq. He may still be a republican but I don't think he will ever get over that episode and now see's that crowd for the hypocrites that they are.

A telling example is the crap that Gingrich has taken for even sitting down and talking to Pelosi about global warming. To even talk about global warming let alone with a person as hated as Pelosi is considered grounds for dismissal and a point to be used as evidence that you cannot be trusted within the party. With that being an accepted attitude within that party and that party still having the support it has in this country I don't see how we can make any positive progress on the big issues. It's just not a healthy and intelligent way of thinking.

Another is the Norquist NO TAX INCREASE OF ANY KIND pledge which is used as a starting and ending point in negotiating. How is that supposed to be helpfull in any realistic way?
It said it all in the primary debate where it was asked if any of them would consider a proposal with $10 of cuts for every $1 of new tax revenue and I believe every one of the candidates said that they would reject that proposal, including Romney.
Who asked you?

Contact Buzz

Postby Contact Buzz » November 8th, 2012, 3:41pm

Agreed. The only thing a Congressman or Senator has is his vote and the ability to bargain with it. Norquist takes that from them.

Regarding Colin Powell: I really liked him. He saw that the case for war in Iraq was largely fabricated. They used him to try and sell it to the UN. Instead of challenging his Superior Officer, he decided to take retirement. I think questioning a superior would have gone against his "good soldier" ethic but keeping his mouth shut cost the American people 4,409 dead, 31,928 wounded, between 150,000 and 600,000 Iraqi dead and our treasury $1,391,000,000,000.

As of today.
"Crentist on the other hand pokes me everyday" - Donkeypunch

212frank
"oh qualified one"

Postby 212frank » November 8th, 2012, 7:54pm

jtsound wrote:When you take away the roughly 80-90% of the voting public that will never vote anything but their chosen party you are left with the 10-20% that is actually up for grabs. When you think of it that way then the 2.4% margin is a little more significant. It's not a landslide by any means but again you have about 40-45% on each side that is never going to change and isn't even contested. With both parties conceeding many of the states that aren't in play I don't see how that dynamic changes any time in the forseeable future, margins like we've had in the last few cycles are the norm and I would say that Obama's electoral college margin is the new decisive win.

Specious argument. You can slice and dice the electorate any way you like but the difference between winning and losing was 2.4%. If you think that is a comfortable margin, how would you feel if you were sick and your chances of survival were 2.4%?
Walt, is that you?

212frank
"oh qualified one"

Postby 212frank » November 8th, 2012, 8:12pm

jtsound wrote:
212frank wrote:Standby for 4 more years of the exact same shit sandwich we've had for the last 4.

Am I one of the few people who thinks that he hasn't done a bad job in the last four years?

Everybody agreed that something needed to be done about our nations healthcare and he took it on when he had the ever so small window of opportunity and he (and this country) has paid a huge price for his efforts. If the opposistion cared even a fraction as much about actually helping people rather than political gain and making money they would have gotten on board and we might have had a better solution than we did. Time will tell if what we have now is going to be workable but getting more people covered is a laudable goal in my book.

No you are not alone. at least 51.7% of the electorate think Barry is the answer.

If by took on health care you mean he asked nancy pelosi to come up with a plan and take whatever means necessary to squeeze it through congress while he himself stood completely on the sidelines, then yes, he did a magnificent job of leading from behind. Nevermind that his plan does nothing to control cost and gave out the lollipops prior to the election to boost his re-election prospects. Standby for the fine print to start taking effect now that barry has run his last race. Check the polls, a majority of people disapprove of obamacare but hey, Im sure you can find 2.4% of the ppl that approve so thats enough amirite?

Troops are coming home from highly questionable wars and we haven't started a new one even though with the current environment there have been plenty of opportunities in the middle east. I shudder to think how the last administration would have handled the situation in the middle east in the last 2 or 3 years. I for one think it's been handled well on Obama's part.

sure if by executing his own surge in afpak and coming away with nothing for our troops trouble is success, then kudos to him!

The economy has been slowly comming back with low but steady growth and unemployment numbers have been on the right track. Slow, but things are going in the right direction.

Inequality has been on the radar. Nothing concrete has been done but at least it's acknowleded that it exists, it's getting worse, and is a potential problem. If you listen to the republicans you would think that income inequality is something to be fostered and expanded which is unbelievably scary

i love how glacial change is the change you can believe in.
Walt, is that you?

212frank
"oh qualified one"

Postby 212frank » November 8th, 2012, 8:14pm

Sue wrote:America died people!

is that what that smell is?
Walt, is that you?

212frank
"oh qualified one"

Postby 212frank » November 8th, 2012, 8:45pm

Contact Buzz wrote:The Republican party is a party of Anger.

I have no idea what your name is so I will call you guywithafish.

it is not my job to change your perception of what ethnic groups republicans like or dont like or hate or marginalize or try to disenfranchise, mr guywithafish. i am not a republican and dont play one on this board.
Walt, is that you?

Return to “Political Forum”