Bowe Bergdahl

Discuss local or national politics here.
sevenyearsdown
Admin Team

Bowe Bergdahl

Postby sevenyearsdown » June 2nd, 2014, 10:49am

So we've traded a bunch of gitmo terrorists for an american soldier that allegedly walked away from his post and was captured. Can't wait to talk to my buddies that served over there to get someone's opinion on this that actually matters.

Not that I think they should have just left him there to die, but maybe this wasn't the guy they should have traded up for. Kind of looks like the Herschel Walker deal Jimmy Johnson cut that lead to the Cowboys winning three super bowls.

Some people are already saying all should be forgiven because he was in Taliban captivity for five years, and that should be enough punishment...even though a bunch of his fellow soldiers got killed trying to find him.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/01/us/bergda ... r-or-hero/

(CNN) -- The sense of pride expressed by officials of the Obama administration at the release of Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl is not shared by many of those who served with him -- veterans and soldiers who call him a deserter whose "selfish act" ended up costing the lives of better men.
"I was pissed off then and I am even more so now with everything going on," said former Sgt. Matt Vierkant, a member of Bergdahl's platoon when he went missing on June 30, 2009. "Bowe Bergdahl deserted during a time of war and his fellow Americans lost their lives searching for him."
Vierkant said Bergdahl needs to not only acknowledge his actions publicly but face a military trial for desertion under the Uniform Code of Military Justice.
A reporter asked Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel Sunday whether Bergdahl had left his post without permission or deserted -- and, if so, whether he would be punished. Hagel didn't answer directly. "Our first priority is assuring his well-being and his health and getting him reunited with his family," he said. "Other circumstances that may develop and questions, those will be dealt with later.............................

All Change is Good
fancy book learnin talk

Re: Bowe Bergdahl

Postby All Change is Good » June 3rd, 2014, 12:15pm

You can't try him beforehand. We make promises to not leave soldiers. I bet he gets court-marshaled.

What happens if he was dehydrated & delusional, or had PTSD? Leave him, really? When we knew he was really ill and could die?

Hopefully, that's not how we do things. Let the process work like the process was designed to.

And we were going to have to do something with the Gitmo guys eventually. To keep the sports analogy, get something for them before they get injured.
superbe bibit cervisiam in imbrem
http://www.TheresaQuinn.com

guitardude
threatened you on page 8

Postby guitardude » June 4th, 2014, 3:15pm

Those are some good points, ACIG. I hadn't really considered the possibities of ptsd and the rest....I agree wih the idea that we're supposed to bring him home in any case, if he was a prisoner. And I get that that's the way it works in war, trading prisoners. We're not supposed to bargain with terrorists, yet we're at "war" with them, so I think that's the deal. I'm wondering how we gave up 5 for 1 though. Seems like we got screwed here.

212frank
"oh qualified one"

Postby 212frank » June 6th, 2014, 4:42pm

I dunno, those taliban dikz have been rotting at gitmo for the better part of 12 years. I'm guessing there aint much fight left in them.
Walt, is that you?

Weezer

Postby Weezer » June 7th, 2014, 7:27pm

Trading five hardened terrorists for a guy that probably defected to the Taliban anyways is pretty mind blowing, but the bigger issue I think is Obama has broken yet another law by failing to notify Congress 30 days prior to a prisoner release. And the excuses as to why he moved so quickly seem to be changing by the minute and don't hold any water whatsoever.

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/37 ... -john-fund

A D-Day Veteran Politely Declines Obama Invitation

Brix, France — Some of the veterans attending the 70th anniversary of the D-Day landings here in France have fascinating stories.

Take George Ciampa, the most vibrant and spry 89-year-old I have ever met. In 1944, he landed in Normandy as a soldier assigned to the 84th Graves Registration Unit. “I spent the next few years going from France to Germany helping to bury people,” he told me. He was involved in setting up the temporary military cemeteries in Normandy that have now become stirring memorials to our fallen dead.

The experience transformed George, and he eventually became a filmmaker celebrating America’s heroes. His website tells the story of the four documentaries he has done on military valor. He is still making films today.

This week, George received a call from the White House, who said they knew he would be over in France during D-Day, and wondered if he would attend a private meeting the White House was arranging for veterans with President Obama.

George thought about it for awhile and concluded he just couldn’t. “I have so many issues with the president’s policies, including the most recent ones,” he told me ruefully. “I just couldn’t convince myself to do it.”

He is not alone. The recent Bergdahl prisoner swap in which five hardened Taliban terrorists were released from prison is rubbing a lot of the military veterans attending D-Day events the wrong way. “It’s not that we don’t want to respect the commander-in-chief,” one told me sadly. “It’s just that he makes it so hard to do so.”

yellow ed
Fairly Handsome Overloard

Postby yellow ed » June 8th, 2014, 1:31am

You couldn't find an article from Fox?
They can take our xpatsxpats, but they can never take our FREEDOM!!!!!

Return to “Political Forum”