Hands on...or Computer Generated?

A forum for the discussion of industrial, goth, dance, electronica, and any styles utilizing electronic instruments.

Moderators: Morpheus, Admin Team

What's the way to go?

Total votes: 0

99devils
The Ultimate Power in the Universe

Postby 99devils » February 11th, 2004, 9:34am

That doesn't sound like Jackson at all... Did they have to special order it for you or something?

-Craig

Fat Bastard
really needs to get a life

Postby Fat Bastard » February 11th, 2004, 11:35am

Yeah, but still...

I agree Jackson is great. I told them, send me another one, if the knob is loose, I'll accept that as a sign that its inherent to the machine...

DJ_Kryptik
How do you get your own title?

Postby DJ_Kryptik » February 11th, 2004, 1:44pm

there's a really good article on this in this one medaille rag at school here... it's near the multimedia lab, i forget what it's called, but i have it...

it's all about going digital, and how everyone seems to think it's more expensive then hands on, but in this article they discuss that it's actually cheaper to go digital then hands on... the article makes the reader think also that it is better to go digital as well.

it's a pretty interesting article, i'll see if i can find it for you... but if you stop in medaille, go to the main building, take the elevator down to the basement (LL), turn right, head for the bathrooms... the multimedia pc lab is there, there's a bulletin board that has all this info and zines... the zine over there...

check it out, if you happen to be around.
April 27 @TBA (Lawton, OK). DJ Kryptik. VIP party. 7pm-whenever we croak.
http://www.angelfire.com/crazy/tatz
http://www.myspace.com/djkryptik

99devils

Postby 99devils » February 11th, 2004, 2:03pm

I would like to dispel the hugest myth in electronic music and home studio gear.

There is no such thing as "better"

Only better for a certain individual. I'd invite the person who wrote that Medaille article to try playing with a metal band using nothing but his computer :)

To be honest, if I had money for a pair of rackmounted shit-hot PCs so I had backup for a gig, I'd try it.

-Craig[/b]

Fat Bastard

Postby Fat Bastard » February 11th, 2004, 2:55pm

99devils wrote:
I'd invite the person who wrote that Medaille article to try playing with a metal band using nothing but his computer :)
-Craig

Yuck... it sucks...tried it...well, not with a metal band, but tried jamming with a few guys. It royally sucked. Then again, so did the drummer, but thats another story.

DJ_Kryptik
How do you get your own title?

Postby DJ_Kryptik » February 11th, 2004, 3:04pm

well i agree with you there craig, which is why i said it's an interesting article... not interesting in just what they're talking, about but how they are saying it.

not to mention, it's wasn't a local medaille paper... it actually is a zine that you can find almost anywhere... so it wasn't written by someone here...

( i should of mentioned that before, sorry...)

i don't know what i did w/ it, i think i left it in the radio station...
April 27 @TBA (Lawton, OK). DJ Kryptik. VIP party. 7pm-whenever we croak.

http://www.angelfire.com/crazy/tatz

http://www.myspace.com/djkryptik

99devils

Postby 99devils » February 11th, 2004, 3:30pm

Well, my point is is that there's no best way for everyone. Everyone's situation is different. For a kid who makes trance in his bedroom why would he want to spend all the money and waste all the space with a large amount of hardware when a few choice programs on a decently speedy box will do? On the other hand, why would I want to try to play live with a computer on stage?

-Craig

Fat Bastard

Postby Fat Bastard » February 12th, 2004, 9:31pm

99devils wrote:I forgot about your hardware... I'd say:

Secondly, you need to pick up either a workhorse synth, or a sampler. IMHO, the decision on which to go for first should come down to whether or not you want a real keyboard for playing parts by hand. If this doesn't interest you at all, I would rely on the synth you have in the Electribe and the one you'll get with the RM1X to hold you over for a while and go for a sampler first. Your cheapest bet for a good sampler is probably the Emu ESI-series (ESI-32, ESI-4000, and ESI-2000 in order of appearance). I'm an Akai user myself, but at a low price point I'd take an ESI over the Akai S2000 or S3000. Yamaha A-series (A3000, A4000, A5000) are a good option for a little more money. If sampling is going to be a large part of your sound I recommend you look into one of the Yamahas, and if you're going to commit a good chunk of cash, say $600-700, I would look at finding an Akai S5000 or Emu E-5000 sampler. All the samplers I've mentioned are pro samplers (as opposed to phrase samplers, like the Yamaha SU-700 & RS-7000, and Akai MPC-2000). Phrase samplers are pro pieces too, but a "pro" sampler will allow you to spread sounds across the keyboard, like a piano patch or a sampled orchestra. Phrase samples don't let you do this - they just play back whatever phrase they sampled. Pro samplers can obviously work that way too, so you get more flexibility this way.
-Craig

Craig,

You seem to be the man when it comes to mid to high-end, so I'll ask u this

The Emu MP7 Command Station

What do you think, and what do you think this could do for me?

All I know is it looks pretty and it brags alot.

Morpheus

Postby Morpheus » February 12th, 2004, 9:58pm

ooh

those units are nice, a ton of control, expandable with emu cards, you could always pick up a rackmount sampler to go with it.

they brag for a reason is all i can say. now the price... i'd haggle around e-bay a bit or snoop around other electronic forums, i belong to quite a few for example.

darksonus.com could help you out since you like the industrial side of things. Nick (cureforsin) is also a moderator there he can ease you in to the group.

99devils

Postby 99devils » February 13th, 2004, 9:49am

Yeah, what he said. I like the command stations. They've got better synth engines than the RM1X, so they're a lot more usable as a single piece. Now that's a good piece to get started on.

-Craig

g30ffr3y

Postby g30ffr3y » March 24th, 2004, 7:10pm

i have an EMU ESI 2000 that im just about to put up on ebay if your interested... its a sampler that was listed in 99devils earlier post... i dont really know what its worth... its in perfect condition... anyone??? i even have the manual printed out in a huge binder and the original box...

99devils

Postby 99devils » March 25th, 2004, 9:50am

Unfortunately they aren't worth much... I think about $200 last I checked, but it really is a nice pro sampler. It might lack some of the modern conveniences but it's still a super sampler at a great price.

Search Ebay's completed auctions and settle on a fair price.

-Craig

Morpheus

Postby Morpheus » March 30th, 2004, 12:30am

and to add even more...

from Native Instruments dicktease of a upcoming gear site.

there's looks to be a snapshot of battery2

add in the rumor of an fm7-2 and you got some good sound coming sooooooon

P.S. - battery + Drumkit from hell + antares tube = a messy stain in my pants.

i'm not afraid to admit it.

ScottDigweed

Postby ScottDigweed » March 30th, 2004, 2:42am

Morpheus wrote:a messy stain in my pants. i'm not afraid to admit it.

Well that puts the title of this thread in perspective... :lol:

99devils

Postby 99devils » March 30th, 2004, 9:53am

That drumkit from hell is serious heavy drum nirvana.

-Craig

Return to “WNY Electronic Music”